A Child Acrobat Performing On An Ahmedabad Street


This is Buchi, she's eight-years-old.  Walking around the mid-sized city of Ahmedabad, I never saw child beggars or street children like the media portrays in cities like Mumbai or Delhi. So I was a little taken aback when I spotted her tiny body gliding over a tightrope on the side of a busy street.



She moved with focused grace and didn't seem disturbed by the cars, buses and bikes whizzing by but I was still relieved to see her brother hovering nearby.


My fellow travel writers and I made sure to give her money directly for her talents and she looked happy for the acknowledgement. She never spoke a word over the blaring Bollywood music but I could see that she was alert and quick-witted. We learned that families of acrobats used to roam Ahmedabad streets regularly but the practice has lost favor, which I was glad to hear. Hopefully, Buchi only performs part time, when she's not in school.



Comments

Jenny Woolf said…
I think that's not a bad way to earn a living if you have to, as a kid. I hope she'll develop her skills and learn more acrobatic stuff a little less dangerous than tightrope walking!
Great post and good skills to have in life. :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Jenny, I guess if she has to earn money, there could be worse things but I was a little worried about the safety of performing on the streets.Thanks so much for dropping by!
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, many thanks and Feliz Cumple'!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons