Scenes From The Merida Market


Browsing through a destination's market supplies so many revelations. The sensory overload of colors, smells and sounds show so much about a place and culture. I was excited to see Merida's Mercado Lucas de Galvez and I was not disappointed. The sprawling covered market offers everything from paella pans to pet parakeets. Walking through the endless aisles was like a lively tour of the kitchens and tables of a local house.



I was amazed to find that all of the fruits above are different variations of mangoes.


Spices are essential to Yucatecan cooking so peppers, herbs and spices were everywhere.


A whole section is dedicated to dulces or candy, which meant I was in heaven. I felt compelled to buy pounds of my fave cajeta, which almost required me to check my luggage at the airport.


But the most unexpected site for me were the vendors for fresh chicharrones or pork cracklings. I learned that Mexico is one of the world's top producers of pork rinds. Locals crowded around this vendor for bags of the popular snack. I don't eat meat so these didn't look tempting to me but it certainly gives Merida's market a flavor like no other!

Comments

Oh, wow, what a colourful market! :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, did you see anything that you's see in a Cuban market?

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons