Secluded St. Vincent Island


It's no secret that I harbor a life long attraction to islands. I have never visited one that I didn't like although I do especially love the small, sparsely populated islands. St. Vincent, in northwestern Florida, fits that bill nicely. (Although St. Vincent & The Grenadines would also fall into that category.)


 Floating smack dab in the Gulf of Mexico, St. Vincent is completely uninhabited. I explored the wild, unspoiled terrain one afternoon with a boat ride from nearby St. George.


 The trees were windswept and sun burnt and the pearly sand was studded with hundreds of shells.


St. Vincent is also home to a national wildlife refuge and even if you didn't know that, you get that feeling from the striking terrain.  I spotted Alligators, bald eagles and ospreys but wolves and snakes also lurk. I collected two pounds of seashells and lots of relaxing memories from St. Vincent.


Comments

Yeah, that sounds pretty good from my vantage point in snowy Boston...!
Fly Girl said…
Julia,
I always post soothing tropical pix in January for that very reason, although there's no snow in Chicago yet!
Mary R said…
I love all the texture on that beach. What a different terrain than most people think of when they consider a white sand beach. Looks like a nice trip, as always!

I still haven't made it to any Caribbean islands yet, but they're on my list this year!
Fly Girl said…
Mary, it was definitely an unusual island. I hope you get to one this year! Nice to hear from you!
Unknown said…
After 7 straight nights of working in the ER, I would give my pinky toe to soak up the warmth and beauty of a place like this especially as I sit here typing with the drafty, dampness that comes with a winter rain....but on the bright side of things...I shall sleep like a well fed baby today :-)))
Fly Girl said…
Roschelle, Winter ickiness is exactly why I posted this. Sleep well!
Catherine said…
I remember travelling here in the mid eighties and enjoying the tranquility of the island and the black volcanic sand beaches - I even climbed the volcano!! Happy new Year and Greetings from Nice...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, Happy New Year! I'm afraid you're thinking of St.Vincent in the Caribbean. This tiny island off the coast of Florida doesn't have any volcanoes or black sand but it is tranquil!
Great photos. Is it just my PC or is your background and font colour the same, red? I couldn't read the text, just see the pictures.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I'm afriad that's your PC The background is tan. I'm glad you like the pix though!
katie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said…
I've never been to secluded island before! (Oahu doesn't really count, lol) It sounds beautiful! (and relaxing for sure!)
Fly Girl said…
Katie, no Oahu isn't really secluded! It is a great experience and I hope you visit one soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons