Hawaiian Coconut Shortbread and Peruvian Chicha Morada



Sometimes, traveling can be as simple as mental transportation to a favorite spot. For me, nothing does that as quickly as food or music. I may be in blustery Chicago but my mind is in Kaua'i and Peru. That's because I just nibbled my way through a box of  buttery coconut-macadamia shortbread cookies accompanied by a tangy glass of chicha morada. I bought the cookies in Kaua'i and every bite conjured up memories of  tossing ocean waves and the aloha spirit. I apologize for not posting pix of the cookies, I gobbled them too fast for a photo op but the box is lovely, as you can see.



Chicha morada is a Peruvian drink made from purple corn, pineapple, lime juice, cinnamon and cloves. I drink gallons of it whenever I'm in a Peruvian restaurant and this time, I took a bottle home. It tastes sweet and zesty and purportedly contains more antioxidants than blueberries but the appeal for me is that it's a deep, lovely shade of purple.  Eating and drinking anything purple is always awesome. Sipping chicha creates images of Machu Picchu  and the Andes for me. Do you travel anywhere through food?

Comments

Tess said…
Have tasted chicha morada once at a latin food festival hosted where i work. and it's delicious! Kind of reminds me of Caribbean Sorrel.

My favorite place to travel through food has got to be Senegal, W Africa. The traditional dish, Ceebu Jen, brings me to my knees!!
Fly Girl said…
Glob trot, you're right, chicha tastes a little like sorrell but it's sweeter. Djebu Djen is my fave Senegalese dish!
Catherine said…
that drink sounds great - very refreshing - wish I had known about it when I was in Peru...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, It's a Peruvian classic although the alcoholic chicha is probably more well known.
blessings and happy new year.

I've never heard of Chicha morada until today. Though am familiar with local drinks as we have many in the Island of Trinidad and Tobago where am from.

Thanks for sharing, it was certainly enlightening.

peace.
Rhapsody
http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/
http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/p/guestbook.html
https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix
Fly Girl said…
Rhapsody, thanks so much for visiting! The closest drink to chicha in T&T is probably sorrell. It's a favorite of mine.
You know what, I actually stopped at the coconut-macadamia biscuits. I would love to try those. I'm so into both ingredients. The yoghurt I have in the morning with my cereal is coconut and in the evening one of my favourite snacks is a plate of nuts and seeds. Macadamia features prominently. Many thanks. Loved the post.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, why am I not surprised at that Scorpio focus? I love coconut in anything too but you really should check out the chicha!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons