Montreal's Mount Royal Tam Tam Festival


The spirit of Montreal  is vibrant and eclectic. It grabs you immediately and inspires you to explore this lovely and complex city. Although Montreal hosts scads of festivals, the one that truly embodies its free-spirited vibe is the Mount Royal Tam Tam Festival or Les Tam Tams Du Mount Royal. Tam Tams is French for drums and you'll see every version of percussion instrument, played by every kind of person at this weekly fest. Held at the  foot of the famous Mount Royal, surrounding a statue of Sir George-Etienne Cartier, crowds of revelers, dancers, musicians and party people drum and dance from noon to sunset.



I was really excited to attend the festival and I wasn't disappointed. Even though I go to dozens of festivals every year, the Tams Tams is special.  Locals and tourists drop any inhibitions and connect through music. For over 20 years, the festival has unfolded every summer Sunday in Mount Royal Park and I could see the joy that the ritual has created. I witnessed a grandmother in a sari dance with a shirtless teen, I watched a man with a long gray beard whirl around with his dog and I saw girls in ponytails grab tambourines to join a circle of men pounding on Djembe drums. The sun blazed down mercilessly but that didn't stop anybody, it only seemed to supply more energy. Vendors lined up under trees with handmade clothes, jewelry, hats and instruments. With an ice cream cart selling cones and frozen treats, there was no real reason to leave. After three hours, I tore myself away but only because I had a poutine date with Emilie'.  The Tam Tam jam represents a quintessential element of Montreal. Check out the energy with this video:

Comments

That looks like so much fun! :)
Fly Girl said…
It was unbelievable fun and I didn't even dance!
What a great looking festival! Love the post and the video you've added.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, it was the most memorable fest I've ever attended.
Brilliant! Keep'em coming!

Did you hear about Amy Winehouse? What a shame!

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
I thought you'd like this. Of course I heard about Amy, it has really saddened me. I was hoping she'd pull through but when I saw her at the St. Lucia Jazz Fest, the likelihood didn't seem great.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
That looks so exciting and enjoyable
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, it was one of my most enjoyable times in Montreal and there were a lot!
Bluegreen Kirk said…
Tam Tam festival seems like a blast! I am a little disappointed though I thought you were going to have a least a dish or drink for me on this one. I'll check out a later post for that though. My little brother would have loved this as he loves the drums!
Fly Girl said…
Kirk, don't worry, more food and drink posts are coming!
Kirk said…
Fly Girl you know those are what make my day! I see you have been posting I have some reading to catch up on, on your site.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons