Bob Marley Lives




Today would be Bob Marley's 66th birthday. This freedom fighter, poet, musician and mystic continues to influence and encourage so many people, in so many ways, that he technically still lives. The video above is for Redemption Song, Bob's analysis of power and peace. It's my favorite Marley song, it also contains my favorite quote, "emancipate yourself from mental slavery/none but ourselves can free our minds."

I'll never forget when I journeyed to Bob's hometown, the tiny fishing village of Nine Mile, in the  mountains of the parish of St. Ann. It sounds cliche but I could actually feel a strong, serene, presence. Bob's house has been transformed into a museum and his mausoleum is nearby. If you question the ability for a spirit to live on, I'd visit this lovely place. The video below gives a tiny glimpse of Nine Mile:

Comments

Bajan Beach Bunny said…
Thanks for the memories
Fly Girl said…
Bunny, you're very welcome! Thanks for visiting!
This was my first Marley song back when I didn't even know who Marley was. After all these years, I still love it. Many thanks. Long live Bob!

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, this is an exceptional Marley song to hear him for the first time, most people hear lighter tunes like "3 Little Birds" first. But I'm not surprised!
AngelaCorrias said…
Beautiful Bob Marley, a myth, it's always moving to listen to his voice.
Fly Girl said…
Angela, his voice is on a whole other level.
eden said…
He was a great singer and I love this song too. He was so popular in the Philippines.
Fly Girl said…
Eden,he is popular everywhere!
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, as if anybody needs reminding of Bob's greatness!
Great video and perfect song selection. I spent that entire trip up with my eyes closed and praying. That was one of the scariest rides EVER!

I did my own Bob Marley tribute as well, highlighting photos from the Nine Mile visit and lyrics from some of my favorite songs:
http://www.absoluteadt.com/2011/featured/happy-bob-marley-day/
Fly Girl said…
April, those tiny roads are treacherous. I will check out your post too.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons