Next Stop : Amelia Island


This week, I'll be on a press trip to Amelia Island, one of the southernmost of the Sea Islands, located off the coast of Florida.  Steeped in history, this 13-mile island is also called  the "Isle of Eight Flags"  since it has flown the flags of France,  Spain (twice), Great Britain, the Patriots of Amelia Island,  the Green Cross of Florida,  Mexico, the Confederate States of America and the United States, since 1562.  I'll be staying in a charming inn on Fernandina Beach, pictured above, complete with rocking chairs to watch the blue herons. My activities will include delving into all that intriguing history as well as horseback riding on the beach, a segway tour of the Amelia Island Plantation nature center and a walking tour of American Beach, a storied African American enclave  frequented by legends like Zora Neale Hurston, A. Phillip Randolph and Joe Louis during the Jim crow era of the 30s-60s.   Of course, I hope to sneak in some beach time too. Stay tuned for posts next week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm making reservations for sure! Great for our
THREE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Thanks!
Radical Selfie said…
Looking forward to your posts on Amelia Island. I have friends who've been there, and the reviews are blissful!! Safe travels!
That photo is hilarious! I love it. Many thanks. I look forward to your posts. By the way, did you mean 1962 instead of 1562? The US wasn't even born then. :-)

Greetings from London.
Sounds fabulous - I'll look forwards to hearing all about it :)
Jean-Luc Picard said…
I hadn't heard of this island. Thanks for telling me all about it.
eden said…
What a beautiful place! Thank you for sharing information about the island.Looking forward to your next post.
Fly Girl said…
Thanks for all the kind thoughts! Posts to come soon. Cubano, I meant 1562, European explorers were claiming many parts of Noth America then, which is why Amelia Island can claim so many flags.
Wendy said…
Hope you are having a great trip. Look forward to your posts which are always full of colorful and interesting culture.
Fly Girl said…
Thanks Wendy, indeed, I have some colorful culture posts coming your way.
Catherine said…
Have a fun trip - and look forward to reading about why so many flags have been flown here...
Unknown said…
Looking forward to your discoveries...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine and Cate, those posts are going up shortly!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons