Glass Window Gallery Opening or How I scandalized Lenny Kravitz


I love Caribbean art. So when I heard about a gallery opening on Eleuthera, I raced there with my press group.  Eleuthera is a tiny island and everyone turns out for any kind of festive event. Everybody means families with children, teens and Lenny Kravitz, who was on the island celebrating his daughter Zoe's birthday.  I was enthralled by the vibrant images popping off the gallery's walls, like the striking painting above, called "Junkanoo Lionfish."

And this one, fashioned from old car parts to create a vivid turtle shell. I was interviewing the owner, Ann, who was supposed to have been my masseuse on the beach that afternoon but her opening forced her to cancel, when I glimpsed Lenny in a plaid shirt out of the corner of my eye.  I was still busy taking photos when one of my journalist buddies grabbed me. The whole group was expecting me to be the one to get the scoop on where Lenny was playing.  He was standing near the door and I was eyeing some whimsical nude drawings nearby. When he came to look at them, I said, "so you like the naked ladies don't you?" Lenny looked shocked and taken aback. So was I.  In my defense, I had just come from scuba diving on the rough Atlantic side of the island and had been knocked against a boulder by a huge wave.  I was not in my right mind.


Lennie looked at me with an expression that said "you must be a crazy stalker" and muttered "what?" Then he  quickly left. I cannot explain what prompted me (besides the scuba accident) to make such a presumptuous statement to somebody I had never met before. All I can say is that a very hypnotic vibe floats around Eleuthera and you might find yourself doing things you've never done before.

Comments

The artwork is beautiful.
Catherine said…
great art - and your comment wasn't that bad at all - I am surprised that lenny could not have come up with a better response!!
Fly Girl said…
Tiffany, the art was fab.

Catherine, you would think he would but little islands are conservative. He looked embarrassed.
Hahaha! I'm still laughing at that 'unusual' approach to one of the semigods of modern pop. But then again, wasn't Lennie supposed to be a debauched, hedonistic musician not so long ago? It goes to show, doesn't it? :-)

Great images.

Greetings from London.
Lola said…
LOL! That's such a timeless hilarious story. I could just imagine his eyebrows furrow up like "What the ??".

The artwork is beautiful. Love vivid colors!
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, his image is supposed to be raunchy but everything's different on Eleuthera!

Lola, the artwork had all my attention, maybe that's why I couldn't come up with a decent opening!
Jean-Luc Picard said…
Colour is the key here!
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, Color is the hallmark of all my favorite artworks.
Mary and Sean said…
I love it! There's often a little devil lurking on our shoulders when we least expect it. Hey, you did get his attention! I'm proud of you!

It's especially funny because I think I remember him saying in an interview that he was celibate now and had sort of removed all that "stuff" from his life!
Fly Girl said…
Mary, celibate? Maybe that's why he was staring at those naked lady paintings!
Ekua said…
Haha, I definitely lol-ed at this story!
Fly Girl said…
Ekua, I'm glad my gaff gave you humor!
Eileen said…
If even you, writer, journalist and interviewer extraordinaire (and I say that in all sincerity) can have such a gaffe, imagine what I could pull out if I really tried (or didn't!)

The art is beautiful, and I'm glad you got to go and show us what's going on. Eleuthera has always grabbed my attention, but it might be linguistic, because the name (to my mind) sounds like a combination of elusive and ephemera.
Fly Girl said…
Eileen, Eleuthera really is interesting and it has nothing to do with Lenny. It's a beautiful, uncommercialized island with a rich culture that flows through everything. I'll be writing a few more posts about the music and food.
Wendy said…
Very funny story. Too bad he had a sense of humor failure.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons