To Die Dreaming



Dominican food is famous for it's tastiness. I've inhaled quite a few Dominican dishes in New York but it rose to a whole other level in La Romana, Dominican Republic. First of all, the sheer freshness of the ingredients made the flavors dance. Dominican cuisine is a mix of Taino Native American, African and Spanish colonial influences. This is a combination that you find on a lot of Caribbean islands but Dominicans put their own spin on it.

The dish pictured above is mangu, which is mashed green plantains served with onions,avocado, fried eggs or salami. We found this dish everywhere we went and it's an important staple for the Dominican diet. This meal is so rich and so filling, that I never seemed to finish it.




La Bandera, pictured above, is the national dish and earns such an essential place in the Dominican diet that most eat it for lunch five times a week. It features stewed meat, rice, beans and plantains or salad, arranged to resemble the red, white and blue of the Dominican flag. The red and white is there but don't ask me about where the blue is. I didn't try this dish because it was almost always served with red meat, which I don't eat. My husband loved it, especially when the meat was stewed goat. It seems that Dominican goats munch on wild oregano bushes and the meat has a highly marinated flavor. My personal fave was boca de chica, a grilled fish platter that comes from the Boca Chica area of the island. It's seasoned with a medley of spices called sofrito and I think I had it for lunch every day.



For all of us, the hands down best thing we all loved was Morir Sonado, or to die dreaming. It deserves an award just for the name alone. It's basically what we used to call a dreamsicle; orange juice, cane sugar, milk and ice. Sitting on the beach and sipping one of these is dreamy indeed.

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
They look delectable. I think I could really like mangu.
Anonymous said…
Oooh, the second dish looks delish. Seriously. Thanks for helping me destroy my diet( wink )
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, you probably woul d enjoy mangu!

Yvonne, you don't have to worry unless there are nearby Dominican eateries in Cali!
dominican food looks amazing. i've heard great things about their republic, minus the hardships, obviously:) it's amazing, costa rican' food is really boring! and when they add the carribean flare, that's when it makes a difference.
The Travel Expert(a) and an Expat with a Twist
Fly Girl said…
Thanks for dopping by Marina. I agree, I wasn't impressed with Costa Rican food, Caribbean flair definitely makes a difference!
dami said…
the La Bandera looks like our african rice and stew and just like in DR, we eat it A LOT! kewl.
Fly Girl said…
Thanks for visiting Dami. There are a lot of African influences in Dominican culture starting with the food!
I visited Dominica because I read a lot about its natural wonders, and that's what usually interests me in a destination. So I practically didn't even think about its cuisine, and imagine the surprise when I got there! I think I ate the best food in my life when I was there. I had la bandera, and it was so amazing that I could eat it every day!
Fly Girl said…
Dominica, I'm afraid you've confused islands! The Dominican Republic is part of the island of Hispanola, which it shares with Haiti. Dominica is the tiny but lovely island in the Eastern Caribbean.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons