Taste Trippin' Part Dos




I've been hanging out in Spain and the Mediterranean region lately. Nothing captures me like a rich culture full of history displayed with vivid visual and musical traditions. I love flamenco, tangines and kebabs so I headed to Alhambra Palace with my friend Avis and her crew of Florida explorers. I don't mean the historical landmark in Granada, Spain. I'm referring to the grand, 1000-seat restaurant/theater in Chicago. Alhambra Palace boasts marble archways, ornate Spanish tiles and hand-crafted furniture imported from Morocco, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt. With spice-colored,velvet curtains draped over entrances and hookahs hanging from the bar, the place drips with drama. We sat in the dimly lit main floor, close to the stage. The menu offered typical Middle Eastern dishes like Baba Ghanoush, Dolmesh and Falafel. I sampled spiced olives, lentil soup and chicken kebabs served over rice sprinkled with pistachios, raisins and toasted almonds. The kebabs were marinated with turmeric and other spices with bell peppers, eggplant and olives. It was okay but the real excitement was on the stage.





Four women in flouncing skirts with embroidered shawls tied over them, stomped and twirled and clapped. A guitarist and singer joined them for a medley of traditional flamenco tunes. The fervor and passion was contagious and I was mesmerized. As I've said, I'm a big flamenco fan but have never been moved to consider lessons. That performance actually had me thinking; "would all that stomping make my feet hurt?" "would I be able to gracefully use my hands and click castanets in rhythm?" "would I be able to improvise like in salsa dancing?" All I know is that I wanted to be out there swirling and stomping and clicking along with them.


Comments

Oooohhhh girl I wish that I was so there with you!!! Princes brother lives in Spain.
Wonder what those Spainiards would think if you and I took the stage for a little dancing?? Honey please....the world ain't ready for that is it??
Love this post Fly Girl :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl
Francesco said…
Great blog! I'd like to talk to you about our project Tripshake Magazine (magazine.tripshake.com).

Can you please send me a line at francesco AT tripshake.com? I'll give more details to you!

Cheers!
Fly Girl said…
Fly Bro, thanks for the encouragement, I'm investigating it.
Reggie, LOL! They better get ready!

Francesco, thanks for dropping by. We messaged each other on twitter.
xoliquoricexo said…
oh gosh, you're having entirely too much fun :-)
Jean-Luc Picard said…
It looks delicious. Thanks for introducing me to the sound of Concha Buika (your previous post).
Lucky you:

- for being inside El Alhambra (I only saw it from outside last time I was in Spain)
- for watching that live flamenco performance.
- and last but not least, for interviewing Omar.

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Licorice, I try very hard!

Jean-Luc, I'm so glad you enjoy Buika.

Cuban, I wasn't in the real El Alhambra although it felt like it!
Jean-Luc Picard said…
Fly Girl, if you look at my messages, many of my readers are enchanted by the Buika sound!

I see you're on Facebook. Send me an e mail using the secure channel on my Journal with your name and I'll add you on!
The food looks great, its making hungry right now.
Lola said…
Great post!. I've always wanted to try Flamenco dancing. Loved watching it in Madrid.
lynne Jordan said…
Darn! I am so sad to have missed that night out!!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons