Paintball in Paradise



A tropical island isn't the typical backdrop for a heavily equipped game of paintball but St. Lucia provides an unexpected Caribbean activity with an 11,000 square foot paintball field. Nestled among coconut palms and izora blossoms on the Coconut Bay Resort in Vieux Fort, a retro industrial-inspired war zone beckons. I'm not a huge fun of paintball or any activity that requires three layers of protection, especially in camouflage. But I can't pass up any travel adventure that promises a one of a kind experience.



Guides strap a chest guard around your torso and then pull on a heavy tan camouflage jumpsuit. After an overview of rules and safety, players are equipped with mask, helmet and a 3-4 pound paintball marker, ready for battle. The poof sound of paintballs whizzing fills the air. If you're playing against seasoned paintballers, you're likely to be covered in crayon yellow paint splotches very quickly. A white canopy shelters eliminated players and onlookers. Running around in the tropical sun weighed down in about 6 pounds of equipment isn't my idea of fun but it was indeed a one of a kind experience. I was eliminated after about 10 minutes and I have to admit, taking off the mask and throwing down that paint gun felt good.
Afterwards, I headed straight to the resort's bar where Crazy Charlie mixes a refreshingly sweet and deceptive concoction called the Dirty Banana. As I've said before, I'm a light weight and Crazy Charlie took one look at me and threw out most of the drink's rum. I sipped my watered down cocktail gazing at the St. Lucian sunset, impressed that I had made it through my first (and last) paintball game.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm slightly jealous but happy that you are having such a good time in St. Lucia. You do look pretty darn tough in your cami's.
Anonymous said…
I would never have associated paintball with St. Lucia. Fun story!
Fly Girl said…
Yvonne,I'm not in St. Lucia, I'm just recreating the trip to forget the cold!
Ebony, it wasn't so much fun as it was an experience.
Heather, thanks for visiting. I would never have thought of St. Lucia and paintball either, which is the only reason I tried it!
ninja said…
My first reaction was: What? Who would wanne do that? But then I thought about all 'soldiers in jungle' movies and it might be fun.
Fly Girl said…
That's exactly what I thought initially too. Thanks for dropping by!
kristine said…
dirty banana/ oh dear. sounds like it might be on a par with Belize's 'panti-ripa'. I try to steer clear, haha!
Wendy said…
I give you lot's of credit for giving it a try (paintball and the dirty banana). You wouldn't have to twist my arm to try the latter.
Fly Girl said…
Kristine, Panti-ripa! My, my, my Belizian peeps,I'd steer clear too!

Wendy, Yes, I push myself to try everything on my travels, whether I'd typically like it or not.
Mapmuse said…
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your information about paintball and your blog is really nice-looking.
Fly Girl said…
Mapmuse, thanks for the compliment and dropping by!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons