A Traveler's Secret


I travel a lot. I love the whole experience of travel, from packing to hanging out in airports, but I have a secret. I'm prone to motion sickness. Fortunately, it never happens on planes but boats, trains, cars? Big worries. I know every old wives tale and trick to prevent it. Don't read, make sure your eyes can see the horizon, eat salt, eat ginger, stay in an upper level cruise cabin. Sometimes these work, sometimes they don't. This poses a nasty little problem for a travel writer. I refuse to miss an experience because there's a chance I'll get sick. That means that I have clutched the railing of a sailboat, reeling with nausea as I gazed at a sublime St. Lucian sunset. I have curled up into a ball on a stunning Belize beach because I was retching from the big cruise ship(I hate cruises, this is just one reason) that brought me there. I barely made it through the 2 hour car trip through Brazilian coffee plantations before I was overcome with dizziness.

What I have learned is that it makes a big difference if you prevent motion sickness rather than try to cure it. So I purchased two acupressure bands that press on the points in your wrist that prevent nausea. They work if I remember to put them on before I get sick. I rarely do. Partly because they are ugly, dirt-colored bands that never coordinate with my ensembles. But I've just discovered a fly solution to my problem. Psi Bands are acupressure bands with style. They are waterproof, sleek and adjustable bracelets that come in bright colors and graphic designs fit for a fly girl. You can get them at Rite Aid or at PsiBands.com. Somehow, I think I'll remember to wear these before I get sick. What motion sick remedies have worked for you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those bands are really cute I like the colours.
Anonymous said…
I always get motion sickness so this is a fab find for me. Thanks so much for sharing.

Oh, yeah, I love the way you write. One day if I'm half as good I will be pleased.
Anonymous said…
I've only experienced it a few times. Boats usually do the trick. I learned the hard way not to read on a moving vehicle unless it's a very smooth ride. Ginger is great for high altitudes too.
Anonymous said…
I'm going to recommend these to a friend who suffers from motion sickness.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

Do these work? My husband i prone to motion sickness (what a crappy travel companion...just kidding!), so maybe i'll recommend this.
Anonymous said…
Ebony, the colors are what sold me.
Yvonne, thanks I hope it helps.
Gennaro, a few times is one time too many! Ginger helps in general but I really have to have a lot of it to feel better.
Wendy, it will probably make your friends lif easier!
Jen, these really work but the key is to put them on before you get sick!
Fly Girl said…
Those bands are really cute I like the colours.
Fly Girl said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fly Girl said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fly Girl said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fly Girl said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fly Girl said…
Ugh, I got motion sickness on a cruise and it caught me SO off guard because I never figured it would happen to me. I've been on numerous boats of various sizes before, but something about that cruise ship got me.

Since I wasn't prepared, I had to go with the tablets they give you. But it's good to know about those bracelets! I will definitely keep those in mind next cruise.
Fly Girl said…
On my way! I do the same thing with the ugly generic ones (forget to use them). But these are cute which would keep them front of mind, thanks for the tip! :)
Jenn Erickson said…
Wow! What a fabulous article! I work for Psi Bands (a wonderful company to work for) and do some of their social networking. I was working on a project online tonight and your blog post came up in my search. Your post is dated from before the time I started working for Psi Bands, so perhaps they've already thanked you and featured you for this, but if not, I'd like to put a link to your post on our Facebook page. Let me know what you think. Regards, Jenn

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons