Paradise Found








I've explored some lovely islands, from the pearly pink sands of Barbuda, to the hibiscus topped hills of Tobago. But when it comes to jaw-dropping beauty, nothing comes close to St. Lucia. The island's attractions are so legendary that it's almost a cliche to highlight it's sweeping twin mountains or it's lush rain forest. So my travel story in this week's Chicago Sun Times focuses instead on all the adventures I had there in a feature here. I think that St. Lucia captures the original concept of paradise. Not only is the landscape gorgeous but the people I met were gentle and kind. Pondering all the wonders I experienced, from the famed Gros Islet jump up to Soufriere's drive-in volcano, I think the most memorable time for me was in the tiny fishing village of Virgie. After driving over hills for an hour in an ATV (all terrain vehicle) some villagers set out plates of fresh sugar cane, star fruit, golden apple and coconut pie candy. I took in the countryside with small houses perched on hills, goats roaming and breezes scented with bougainvillea. Paradise indeed.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Sigh. What I wouldn't do to be in Saint Lucia now!
Anonymous said…
Congrats on your latest article in the Sun-Times. Just linked over to read it.

Also, the link to the article in your blog post is broken so I had to change the url.

Very cool piece. There are so many islands I want to visit!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for dropping by Maryam, I wouldn't mind Marrakesh about now either!
Thanks for letting me know, I checked on the link Lola. It's the right one but I think the Sun Times website just won't cooperate!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like the perfect place to escape right about now--short winter days on the way...
p.s. Love the blog and am linking you.
Anonymous said…
Don't remind me! In Chicago, those short winter days add up to most of the year! Thanks for the link Wendy! I'll link you too.
Anonymous said…
Yes, it's surely a paradise. Wishing I have a chance to be there !.
I love travel and write travel articles too. Hope see you there !

By the way, it should be appreciated if you could add me at your friend list !

Dinh Trung
Anonymous said…
St. Lucia, St. Lucia...

Most certainly a beautiful island. My travel to St. Lucia happened after a crappy Valentine's day and break-up with a bf I had planned to travel to D.R. and Haiti with. Not wanting to deal with the language barrier (not in the mood) I changed my plans to an English speaking island destination and St. Lucia was it!

A good choice and great place for the broken hearted. Incredible sun-soaked beaches are always remedy. :) I wrote about the entire week long experience here:

http://adrienne-is.com/blog/?p=413
Anonymous said…
Thanks for visiting Dinh and Adrienne! I'll be visiting both of your blogs soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons